Once you have installed WordPress on your server, choosing and installing a theme for your website would be the next step. For many people, this seems to be the most exciting part about setting up a WordPress site. It is like going shopping and you have to select the best “outfit” which is not only suitable but also can define your style.
However, selecting and installing a theme have its own sets of challenges for the beginners. In this post, we will guide you through what is a WordPress theme and how to install them.
What is a WordPress Theme?
As a greater number of website owners use WordPress as an amazing space for blogging, posting and selling. WordPress themes are, therefore, developed to bring excellent experience for both users and visitors. Basically, a WordPress theme is a collection of templates and stylesheets used to define the appearance. It can be changed, modified or managed to suit with the user’s taste and requirements in many available different layouts, designs, and features. Before getting to know in what ways a WordPress theme can be installed, we need to recognize how a theme would benefit our company.
Why Should You Use a WordPress Theme?
First of all, using a WordPress theme can bring a distinctive experience for the customer whenever browsing your page. It will definitely have a visual effect to gain customers’ curiosity and excitement at first sight.
Secondly, a WordPress theme is a compose of layouts and other elements that can meet any website owners’ requirements. It is flexible and easy to manage in your own way. For instance, a women clothing shop would desire to have a shopping cart, voucher or payment method integrated with the website design and a WordPress theme could provide the flexibility of those integrated features. In other words, it could display those categories such as a shopping cart, a payment method, etc rather than a booking form for an appointment.
Last but not least, whether you download a free WordPress Theme or purchase a premium one, it would be an extraordinarily powerful theme which can improve contents engagement by its color and layouts.
How to Install a WordPress Theme
There are three methods of installing a WordPress namely admin theme search, uploading and using FTP.
Using WordPress Admin Theme Search
This is the easiest way to install a WordPress theme, directly from the Themes Directory. The first thing you need to do is log in to your WordPress admin area.
- In the Dashboard, click on “Appearance” and “Themes“.
- Once you are on the Themes page, click on the “Add New” button at the top of the page.
- Once you have clicked “Add New” button, you have a diverse choice of popular themes, featured themes or the latest ones updated by WordPress. You can use one of three search methods (filter search, keyword search, and attribute search) to find your desired theme.
- Next, simply get your mouse on top of the theme’s image, there will show up the “Install” button, “Preview” button and the “Details” button. Go ahead and click on the “Install” button.
- Now the WordPress will have your theme installed and show you a message with the link to “Activate” or “Live Preview“. Remember to click on “Activate” and the installation has done.
Uploading from WordPress Admin
As the very first method above only allows you to install free themes available from the Themes Directory. In case you would like to install a “commercial” premium WordPress theme from other companies or a custom theme, the upload method would be a way for it.
- Starting with downloading the zip.file of the theme you purchased from the theme provider.
- Next log in to your WordPress admin area, then on the Dashboard find “Appearance” and “Themes.” You will click on the “Upload Theme” button at the top.
- Choose files from where they locate in your computer and click “Install Now“. Once your theme is installed, a message with the link to “Active” or “Preview” the theme will show up.
- Click the “Active” button and you’ve successfully installed and activated your WordPress theme.
Getting to the upper level for who loves coding and wants to take it the the next level, using FTP program is recommended. It is more advanced and complex for you to get things done unless you have completed understood what FTP is. Standing for File transfer protocol, FTP gives you the right to transfer local files from your computer to the website hosting account.
- First of all, you need to download the FTP software and link it to the website you want to use FTP for.
- In order to upload a theme to your WordPress page, you need to download the theme to your computer and unzip the file. WordPress would look for themes in the path: /wp-content/themes so that the downloaded theme should be uploaded into this folder.
- Once the themes have been uploaded, you would need to go to your admin area and click “Appearance” > “Themes“. You will see the themes you uploaded listed there. Click “Activate” button and start using your WordPress theme.
We hope this brief guideline or handy solution to install a WordPress theme could assist you in creating a WordPress website from the very beginning. With those methods of installing WordPress themes from simple to a bit more advanced, you will be able to overcome those very first challenges of setting up your site and make it a more exciting process.