There are always certain events in which duplicating a page will be of great necessity. However, not all WordPress users know exactly when and how they should duplicate a WordPress page. If that is your case, this post is for you. Spend some minutes reading and you’re gonna find something useful to do the job.
When You Should Duplicate a WordPress Page
There is something to be said for duplicating a WordPress page. You may find it most useful in some particular circumstances.
The first case would be when you want to try making some tweaks on design without affecting an existing page. By duplicating the page, you won’t run a risk of destroying your current design and rebuilding the page from the beginning.
Secondly, duplicating pages is highly recommended when you add a page with the same structure as the current one. For example, when you want to add a new product on your site, duplicating an existing single product page will certainly help you save tons of time. Changing the contents is the only task left for you.
You may find many occasions where it’s a better idea to duplicate a WordPress page rather than build a new one from scratch. So sift through the next part to see clear steps to duplicate a WordPress page.
Does Duplicating Mean Boring?
The answer is “No” for sure. Duplicating one page does not necessarily mean that you copy the entire page. While a page structure remains the same, the newer and fresher content is brought to customers. Even a new single detail is made, you have carried a new page appearance to your visitors. Thus, these two following tips would be the persuasion to customers about new things your current pages have created.
Two Tips to Duplicate a Page in WordPress
In order to clone a page, you can take advantage of plugins or challenge yourself with editing codes. The part below explains two different ways to duplicate a WordPress page in detail.
With Assistance of Plugins
Duplicate Page is a very handy tool to duplicate a WordPress page just by one click. No special skills or techniques are required because the Duplicate Page has done for you. With over 600,000 installs and frequent updates, Duplicate Page provides users a plenty of distinctive features. It allows users to access the duplicate page through user roles. Moreover, you can choose where to show the clone link or select Redirection to redirect after clicking on the clone link. Another feature of Duplicate Page plugin is to add more filters and features by Editor.
Therefore, to duplicate a WordPress page, please follow these steps:
- Download and install “Duplicate Page“.
- Activate the plugin.
- Go to “Duplicate Page Settings” from Settings Tab. Select one option in the Duplicate post status and save changes.
- Then, create new page or use old.
- Click on “Duplicate This” link, your page will be created and saved as draft, publish, pending or private as your earlier option.
Sharing the same features as the Duplicate Page, its twin brother – Duplicate Post can clone and build out an identical WordPress page. Its aim is not to disturb the end-users’ experience and provides developers space to freely update their pages.
It contains many useful settings and restricts its use to certain roles. Duplicate Post can guarantee your security because it just collects information of your WordPress installation. Thus, it is 100% GDPR compliant. You need to read the instructions below to duplicate a page in your WordPress:
- Download and activate “Duplicate Post“.
- Go to Pages and choose the one you would like to duplicate.
- Click “Clone” or “New Draft” to duplicate the page. While the New Draft will send you directly to the editing area, the Clone option just duplicates the page as you wish.
- Duplicating a WordPress page is completed.
Developed by Metaphor Creations, Post Duplicator has reached 100,000 active installs since it’s been released. This plugin can make an exact copy of a WordPress page or post. If you want to save time, using Post Duplicator to duplicate either single or in bulk is the right decision to make.
- Download and activate your plugin.
- Choose the page you want to duplicate.
- Adjust “Post Duplicator Settings” if you want to change the post status.
- A Duplicate Page/post button will show up once you’ve hovered the mouse over a page.
- Press the “Duplicate Page” button and wait for the result.
- The duplicating process is done.
Page and Post Clone
Showing up in the list of top useful cloning plugins, “Page and Post Clone” plugin satisfies most WordPress users. With just one click, the plugin generates a nice replica of your WordPress page. It provides a super easy way for users to clone the page with these following steps:
- Download and activate “Page and Post Clone” plugin.
- In the dashboard, go to “All Pages“.
- Hover cursor over a page you wish to duplicate. Click on “Clone” option.
- Make changes in the “Settings” if you don’t want to be redirected to the draft copy.
- Then, you have the WordPress page duplicated.
With Assistance of Codes
Sometimes, working with codes might be a memorable experience for the page owner. It takes you just a few minutes to easily duplicate a WordPress page by editing the codes:
- Copy the following snippet:
- Then, paste your codes into your functions.php file.
- Replace the last line “add_filter” by this:
- The duplicating process is completed.
To Sum Up
Duplicating might be not as complex and time-consuming as your first thought. However, if you want to clone your pages perfectly, you need to imagine how your page would look like and carefully follow the tip then. Hopefully, the article somehow gives you a general vision about how to duplicate a WordPress page.